Day 1 - Genesis 1:1-2:25 - Creation
Connecting to the Larger Story
Important to Note
1) In the beginning, everything was without form and void. God created all that is by bringing order to the chaos - separating light from darkness and earth from water. God does this by speaking the words: "Let there be..." This speaks to the power of words to bring order to our world - just what the Scriptures do for our lives.
2) As God created each thing, God viewed the world and called it good. As the creation is finished, God sees that it is very good. Despite the troubles we see in the world today, it is important to note that God intended the world to be a good place.
3) The Creator made human beings in his own image. That means that we share something of the divine character within us. This has been understood in many ways: the drive to create, the capacity and need for relationship, the essence of love at our core.
4) The Creator rested after all things had been made. This is the basis of understanding the Sabbath as a day of rest dedicated to God.
Thoughts for Reflection
1) Where do you need God to create order in the chaos of your life?
2) Where do you most clearly see the goodness God intended for this world to be?
3) What do you think it means to be created in God's image?
4) Do you find enough time to rest with God?
Comments are closed.
Bible Blast 31
A month-long reading plan to get a grasp of the whole story of Scripture!